Saturday 6 April 2013

Homemade Kitsch

Gorgeous pencil case by Mad Mother.

Having watched The Great British Sewing Bee (much entertainment, we're rooting for Anne),  the household was in creative mode, and Mum crocheted me this gorgeous pencil case with adorable buttons. How fab is that? It reminded my Dad of craftivism, which in theory is totally awesome and it would be great if Mum's skillage was that way motivated, but as Mum pointed out, is unlikely to really achieve much. Anyway, I'm happy with this great new practical accessory, and I think it's a shame that the handmade isn't incorporated into everyday style more. I mean, nobody's going to show up with the same outfit as you if you've spent all night at it with scissors and a glue gun. Plus, homemade stuff is timeless. Not so long ago, people made most of their own clothes (or for something fancy went to a tailor or seamstress) and wore them 'til they couldn't be worn any more. Disposable fashion wasn't really a thing. I mean, a lot of cool stuff comes from Primark and can be chucked out after a few months, but the homemade awesome could be mixed with this and make something totally new. 

If I actually go through with my thoughts and attempt to, like, sew or something cray like that, I'll blog the results. This might just stay as one of those theories that, due to my general uselessness and lack of technical skill, I never fulfil, but we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment